I met with the incredibly sweet Ken Downing, fashion director and senior vice president of Neiman Marcus today. He’s literally the man behind the suits, dresses and fashion style of the luxury department store and more and he was an utter doll to speak with. Our meeting, was full of fashion and fun, with the glowing-in-Gucci Downing giving me tip after tip of how to look great for Fall 2011 and even, how to look younger. The following article by me, was posted earlier on Desert Living Today.com:
I just had a lovely interview with Ken Downing, Fashion Director and Senior Vice President of Neiman Marcus. He’s a glamourous, Gucci-donning ball of fiery, fashion-fueled energy and in just a quick few minutes, we are energized for fall fashion. So what trends have the man-about-fashion fluttering this season? Here’s a list of what in at NM and Downing’s quick tip for looking younger in an instant:
Insider Tips from Ken Downing:
- The color of the season: Bordeaux, shades of red, juxtaposed with shades of pink. Pink is the color of upcoming Resort 2012, so your pretty-in-pink pieces will last.
- Return of the Lady: Ensemble dressing, nodding to the 60²s lady and Kate Middleton is in. Jackets that match your blouse, skirts. Nails that match lip colors, in shades of bordeaux and reds. Handbags that match shoes. Downing calls them, Clothes that belong together. Creating that polished, together look.
- Leather and fur: Not just jackets here. Vests, trimmings, leather leggings,
- The Classic Pump: Wear it for day and into night. Juxtapose the edgy look of those leather leggings with the soft, polished lady like touch of the perfect pump.
- Low Velocity Bling: High shine dulls down, yet creates high drama for day time looks. Tarnished, blackened jewels and glittered fashion pieces are a must.
- Nail It: Downing’s collaboration with Le Metier de Beaute brings us the easiest way and our favorite way to update your look: nail polish. He suggests either a glittery champagne or a glittery bordeaux.
- Day and Night: No more transitioning from night to day. Wear your day for night and your night for day – pumps during the day, flats at night.
- Make It Fit: Wear clothes that fit. Tailor, alter, make it fit you. You’re not hiding anything under those baggy clothes.
- Men: Tuck in your shirt!
- To Look Younger: Stay relevant. It isn’t about Botox and facelifts, it’s about staying relevant to the moment. Sporting your same style since high school, dates and ages you. More women, when they catch up to what’s relevant, feel and look younger.
- What Downing Never Leaves Without: A leather jacket and a soft, cashmere hoodie. Both great for layering.
And Neiman Marcus is about to update its own style as well, with the introduction of our very own Cusp store-in-store coming 2012 to Scottsdale Fashion Square. Cusp will re-introduce their contemporary sportswear collections with a more contemporary shopping experience, combining designer pieces, jewelry, accessories and more in a boutique-like setting inside the department store. Stay tuned for more!
Image via Neiman Marcus